Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It Truly Is Better In The Wind....

Although there hasn't been many words on the blog, as of late, I've still been trying to convey a newfound passion for motorcycles and motorcycle riding... I've been riding for right around a couple of months now and can honestly say that it's been one of the best additions to my adult life. The physical and emotional feelings associated with being out on my motorcycle have been incredible and I'm so thankful to be able to experience these. That being said, the alignment of separate areas of passion has always been a winning combination in my mind and after scouring the internet's various motorcycle blogs I came across one incredibly inspiring passion-project, simply titled It's Better In The Wind. The sole purpose of this project, which is headed up and beautifully documented by Los Angeles-based photographer Scott G Toepfer, is to reconnect with the outdoors and our seemingly forgot sense of adventure. As it's put on the project site, this is a group of riders who set out across the west, on vehicles without scenery-restricting windows, fueled by sincerity and bound by solidarity.


As soon as I read the mission statement and took in the inspiringly beautiful imagery created by Scott I immediately felt a sense of longing; I needed to experience it!... And sure enough, just as fate would have it, one of the riders, Samson, was a former classmate from Brooks and old bicycle-riding pal of mine, from when I lived in Thousand Oaks. I hit Samson up and before I knew it I was making plans with Scott to join them on the next ride to Slab City near Southern California's Salton Sea! And again, "before I knew it" we were out there on the open road, killing bugs with our foreheads and glimmering teeth. This was my first time spending more than an hour on my motorcycle; there were so many firsts... We covered around 650 miles in 36 hours, making stops for photo-ops, getting lost, fueling, refueling, and re-refueling! We crammed so much into our short time together and I can honestly say that it was an incredible growing experience for me, as a person. I'll say it again, I am truly so thankful to be able to have these experiences; they've been nothing short of amazing and I cannot wait to make more!









3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Jealous. Seriously jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photo of Scott. He isn't in front of the camera enough. I can't wait to steal him back from It's Better In The Wind to do some more climbing photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jesse!! this makes me want to be a boy...seriously. or a girl on a bike, either way i love it! the entire concept melts my cold heart. (lies. my heart is warm already.)

    ReplyDelete